6.30.2005

An update from the music corner

As previously mentioned, part of my inspiration to make a blog of my own is from the blogs I check on a daily basis as a source of new music. Some of these people are ridiculous in that they'll know all the latest hype on any band that makes any ripple on the music scene -- no matter if it's in London, New York City, or East Bumblef*ck, USA. When I hear enough hype surrounding a group, I'll go out there and find some mp3's to see what the big deal is all about. In some cases, I've liked what I've heard (Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, The Postal Service), and in other cases, I'll download a few songs and realize it isn't worth my time or my hard-drive space. The reason I write about all of this is because I like to throw my latest music interests into a post and hope that it'll spread the music to some new sets of ears. (Also, when I eventually figure out how to link actual mp3's to the site, I'll do that...in addition to avoiding the breaking of copyright laws and all that legal nonsense.)

Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the Illinoise - Embarking on an absurd mission to create 50 albums, one dedicated to each of the U.S. states, Sufjan Stevens' second effort in this set (previously released Michigan in 2003) has musical sounds that rival a full orchestra scoring a Broadway show, but at points in the record is so soft and melancholy that I found myself reaching for the volume button. It wasn't a technical problem with the way the disc was mixed or recorded, but shows the range of Stevens' music. Extremely catchy tunes and harmonies that will stick in your head all day. With this being an album about Illinois, there are songs about many of the small towns and history of this midwestern state. Being as though I'm not one for lyrics, the complex arrangements and various instrumentation is what catches my ear. Favorite tracks: "Concerning the UFO sighting near Highland, Illinois"; "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." ; "Chicago" ; "The Man of Metropolis Steals our Hearts". (CD doesn't hit stores until July 5th. I ordered my copy from his record company in Wyoming. Yes, it was exciting to receive a package in the mail from Wyoming.) http://www.sufjan.com

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan - I have to be honest: I was never a huge White Stripes fan. When Elephant came out a couple years back, I read about how critically acclaimed it was, but other than "Seven Nation Army" didn't really care for their music. When the new record was about to be released, I kept hearing more hype about how big this one would be, and about how it would rival the new Coldplay album as the best releases of the summer. Giving into the hype, I checked out Get Behind Me Satan, and I was absolutely blown away. Starts off with "Blue Orchid", where Jack White uses the distortion like it's his job, and Meg White pounds away on those drums like no one's business. Then, the album slows down on "The Nurse" where they use a xylophone and some maracas. One of my favorite tracks on the disc, "My Doorbell" is a jazzy, blues-flavored, piano-based tune which I couldn't get out of my head for 3 days. Unreal. The White Stripes run the gamut on the sounds of this record. Heavy songs, soft songs. Fast songs, slow songs. Even a country tune at the end -- "I'm Lonely (But Ain't that Lonely Yet)". I'm very impressed with this CD, and have quickly become a big White Stripes fan. Highly recommended!
http://www.whitestripes.com

2 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update on music corner...Anyone of you that listens to Gwen Stefani on a routine basis, are no longer my friends. Ross...Why don't you bring up some of the people that are creating the downfall of music? But on the other hand, she did create a great conversation starter, as I dicovered in NYC. What is a hollaback girl? The hot girl replied, I don't know, My name is C-something. I don't remember her name, I had to be drunk if I talked to some hot girl. BUT seriously...that chicks music is all kinds of messed up, and I refuse to support her. Join me in the burn Gwen Stefani's CD party on Homecoming in State college. Thanks for stopping by San Diego.

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ross, love the website! ive been a longtime fan of the press release, and am very pleased to find even more silliness to read when im bored!

in reference to deans confusion about gwen stefani: a hollaback girl is a girl who gets dumped/blown off, and when they boy comes back to her like nothing happened, she just takes him back becuase she has clearly has low self esteem.

one thing about gwen though, you may not like her music, but at least her solo album actually sounds like a solo project, not just the same old shit without having to hand out paychecks to the rest of the group (justin timberlake, anyone?).

love you ross, keep up the good work xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home