3.30.2006

I Hear the Music, But Not the Words

I was all hyped because last night I had, what I thought to be, a great post with some solid content. Of course, tonight, as I sit down to blog, I waste about 30 minutes scouring the internet looking for some ideas. No luck. Such is life.

- The Jessica made a good comment about how a lot of the music I listen to is depressing. It's true. That song I posted yesterday ("The Funeral" by Band of Horses) is about a guy who is ready for his own funeral. That's about as depressing as it comes. But the funny thing is this... I'm not a lyrics person. I could care less what the lyrics are telling me in the music. Many people would attempt to convince me that this is a travesty. The argument would go something like how music is just poetry with added instruments and melodies. In many cases, I don't doubt that people could be moved by the underlying meaning in a song. I just frankly don't care. I'm not influenced one way or another by harsh lyrics, depressing lyrics, sweet lyrics, or lyrics that make no sense whatsoever. I'm all about the music. The instrumentation: the guitar riffs, the basslines, and drumbeats. That's the part of music that I love.

The theory that I came up with very quickly on why I like depressing music goes like this: many times the depressing songs have such a passion in the vocals, which often goes along with intense and often catchy instrumentation. If you have passionate vocals (note that I'm saying 'vocals', not 'lyrics'), then it doesn't often mesh with bland instrumentation. If it does, odds are that our parents and grandparents are listening to it.

I'm so big on Band of Horses after the first few listens to their record because I immediately felt the intensity and passion in the music. It struck me in the same fashion as The Arcade Fire's Funeral did as well. (Coincidence on the titles, but maybe it's the morbid factor that fuels the passion. Believe me, I'm in no way a morbid person, just trying to make a point) Look at other music: Rage Against the Machine and Bright Eyes. Very different music styles, but each are very driven by politics. Zach de la Rocha, the lead singer of Rage while they were still together, is one angry motherf'er. Connor Oberst of Bright Eyes is the same way. He's angry at the world, especially at our wonderful President. Regardless, I'm not swayed one way or another by Rage telling me about the Mexican Zapatista supression or Bright Eyes revolting against the Iraq situation. I just like the music.

In many cases, I can even remember lyrics to a song, such as the tunes on the radio, but when asked what the song is about, I probably cannot tell you. I make a comparison to being able to read another language, but not having any idea what it means. Anyone can recite some Spanish or French words from a piece of paper, but does that mean they understand the translation? Not at all. Same way with me and lyrics. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, because music is as much of an art form as drawings, paintings, or photography: everyone has their own interpretation behind it. For me, the music sticks with me, not the lyrics. If I like the lyrics, or the meaning happens to dawn upon me, I consider that an extra-added bonus. Even if someone says to me, "I can't believe you don't know what that song is about," I really don't take any offense to it. I'm not concerned with the lyrics, but if the instrumentals don't peak my interest, then it just isn't for me.

I don't feel like any of this is any earth shattering philosophy, but I had gotten to thinking about the fact that much of the music I listen to contains dark and depressing lyrics, which have no effect on me one way or the other. Just some food for thought. I'm sure some of you out there have a similar personal feeling about the music that you listen to.

Like Wesley Snipes said to Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump: "Man, you can't just listen to Jimi [Hendrix], you need to hear Jimi." In my case, I'd hear Jimi's music, but not the words coming out of his mouth.

1 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

on the whole lyrics issue: i love 'em- but there are some songs that I ignore the lyrics too because I like the beat so much! I'm in a happy relationship, but recently I've been listening to sad/break up songs that, like you, could be considered depressing if you listened to the words! PS: are you listening to the fray? BBC introduced me and I've been in love ever since! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home