3.07.2006

Untitled

You ever notice how when an artist titles a piece of work, "Untitled", there's a certain aura about it. There's a sense of mystery in finding out why the artist couldn't find a better title, or anything for that matter, to pair with this piece of work. Sometimes, the artist is just too cool for titles and let the piece speak for itself. Or maybe they don't want to a few small words at the beginning sway your judgment about the many words that are to follow.

So now that I've titled this blog posting "Untitled", you really have no idea what I'm going to talk about. As you can see, I really don't have much to say, but I'm instead rambling. But if I titled it, "Ramblings" or "The Usual Randomness" then you'd know what to expect and I'd lack the element of surprise. I have to keep you guys on your toes. I don't want to be labeled as the predictable blogger, because that would be a death sentence, like when a TV show gets the 10pm time slot on a Friday night, or worse, 10pm on Saturday (gasp!). You get the idea.

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again, it's tough to title postings. It really is. I thought about just writing and then going back to create a title. Novelists do this all the time. "Let's see what I can down on paper first and see what this whole piece of work turns into before I can title it." The title is important, more so for books and albums, less so for blog postings. I could title this blog posting just about anything and there are good odds that you'll give it a read regardless. Reason being: Time. It takes you a matter of minutes to zip through the daily update of the RPR. It takes a much larger time investment to listen to a music album, and even more time to read through a whole book. And unless you're already familiar with the author/musician, then the title might plant the initial seed of thought in your mind. In other words, a lame title could immediately turn people away. You've heard the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover." Has anyone ever said, "Don't judge a book by its title"? Even though the idea is almost the same, I don't believe it's as popular of a cliche as the former.

So what is the point of all this? My free-form ramblings and nonsensical blogging call for more creative titles that I cannot always come up with. You might not think of it as a big deal, but when I sit down each evening to blog, I have the blank screen staring at me, and I feel like I can't begin until I have a suitable title. I can begin typing, but the template feels naked without a title. I've been debating using titles that are completely irrelevant to the actual posting, because I think it'd be something fun to do. Then again, even coming up with the irrelevant titles will cause me to rack my brains. Just like everything else in life... we'll see what happens.

Other Items to Mention Today:

- I'm absolutely shocked that Barry Bonds abused steroids. I mean come on, all baseball players bulk up like this over the years....



- I think I'd enjoy the music of The Decemberists and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah if the lead singers' voices weren't so awful. I know that rock bands don't have to have excellent singers. Perfect example is Bob Dylan, who's voice is horrific, but he's an excellent musician and lyricist. It's just that the voices of Colin Meloy of the Decemberists and Alec Ounsworth of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah leave a lot to be desired. If you're familiar with the music, you know what I'm talking about.

- I watched that new sitcom on ABC "Sons & Daughters", since I felt like it deserved a chance with Lorne Michaels being the Executive Producer and all. Plus, I had read here and there that it was similiar to "Arrested Development". Turns out that there were two episodes back-to-back for the series premiere and other than some spotty humor, I wasn't all that impressed. After the hour had gone by, I think I was more annoyed that I had missed a new episode of "House". I might give it another chance next week before I write it off. Then, it's back to "House" for the Tuesday 9pm time slot. Who were these people kidding when they commented that it was like AD? Unless "Sons & Daughters" turns out to be ridiculously funny, I'll stick with the guy who played Richie Cunningham to produce a sitcom over the guy who created and produced "Saturday Night Live". Go figure that one out.

And thus ends the untitled post. I hope you feel satisfied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home