7.12.2005

The Barbershop

As promised, here's the story about why the barbershop that I go to here in Stamford, pisses me off. The story doesn't contain Ice Cube, Cedric the Entertainer, or Queen Latifah, so I just want to mention this from the start. I never actually saw "The Barbershop" or the sequel they made, and probably isn't worth my time since it was only in the theater for 2.5 hours.

Anyway, so I've been going to this place, Sweeney Todd's, since I moved up here. It was originally located in the mall that is across the street from my apartment. There was a regular barbershop that I was going to go to first, but after seeing that I was the only English-speaking person in that place, I thought it might be better to patronize the nicer, more upscale barbershop (Sweeney Todd's) across the hallway.

The first time I was there, I was greeted by Yolanda, so she proceeded to cut my hair that first time. They had a great deal running: $12 haircut on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'd make it a point to get there on one of those days when the hair started to become shaggy, and I could save a couple bucks at the same time. I went about every 6 weeks or so, and many times I'd have Yolanda cut my hair, once it was an Asian lady, another time it was the Australian/British chick (couldn't figure out the accent). Everything was fine, we had the $12 haircut and I was in and out in like 15-20 minutes and you could call it a day.

See, many guys will know the "Code of Barbershops" is that once you have one of the "stylists" cut your hair a couple of times in a row, they'll begin to recognize you. At that point, whether they do a great job or a bang-up job, you're stuck with them. The stylist will take offense if they see you come in and sit down to let another one cut your hair. That's a sure-fire way to land on their shit list. So you better pick the right one after the first couple of visits, because if you don't like your regular stylist, you might as well find a new place to go.

After bouncing around from one to another, my regular stylist ends up being Yolanda. You could have figured that out since she's the only one whose name I remembered. Plus, she didn't actually recognize me during the initial visits, and each time gave me a card with her name and the days/hours she worked. She does a nice job, and she's pleasant to speak with while she cuts my hair, so there were no problems.

Now here's the part that gets me. In April, the shop changed locations. They moved out of the mall, and to another location in downtown Stamford. The new shop looked pretty nice, they had more room and could keep hours that differed from the mall. My very first time in the new location, it was a Monday or Tuesday night, and when I walked in, I noticed the $12 special. That's a good sign that the prices didn't change any. I walk up to the front desk and I specifically ask for Yolanda this time. (In the past, it worked out several times in a row that she was available as soon as I walked in. This time, I "specifically" asked for her. Remember this point.)

The girl says that she is just finishing up with someone and I'm next in line. About 5 minutes later, she's ready for me. Conversation was the same old BS'ing as normal; I commented on the new digs and that it was a nice upgrade from the old place; it came up that she is a recovering alcoholic ("I've been sober for 5 years now." How do you respond to that statement? Does it call for a "Congratulations!"? I just nodded and smiled, to play it safe.) The haircut ends and we go up the counter. The following conversation ensues:

Girl at the desk: That'll be $15 please.
Me: I thought you do the $12 special on Mondays and Tuesdays?
Girl: That's only for walk-ins. Since you requested Yolanda, it's $15. On other days of the week, it's $20.
Me: (Still perplexed, but hands over the cash.)

There's a principle here that annoys the hell out of me. I wasn't worried about the $3. The fact though that they have the nerve to charge a "regular" customer more than some Joe Shmo who walks in off the street, is beyond me. What happened to customer loyalty? They should give me the discount, and let the walk-in pay more. When someone cuts you a deal because you're a long-time customer, they give you just that: a deal. Imagine this: "Well, Mr. Johnson, since you're a long-time customer here at the car dealership, we're going to charge you more for your Dodge Stratus than that idiot over there who we've never seen before." MAKES NO SENSE! You give the loyal customer a break and let the others build up their loyalty and long-term patronage.

Most recently, I went to the barbershop again last week, in fact it was Friday after work. Sure enough Yolanda is there, and sure enough, I get charged $20. What a bitch. I'm completely roped into this stylist and need to find a way out. Only problem is that I get a decent haircut out of her. I'm still pissed about the principle of the whole situation.

Anyone agree or disagree? Post your comments.

5 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Ross, that sounds pretty screwed. Personally, I'm disenfranchised with the whole hair cutting industry. There's no neighborhood barbershop anymore. Back home in my suburb I went to Bethel Barbershop for my hair cutting needs. It was only men. The next youngest person other than me was over the age of 45. They talked about sports, local news, and the military and the stereo was always pumping Frank Sinatra, or something similiar. A cut was $10 (including a tip!) and there was no fuss about which "stylist" cut your hair. I miss those days. Here's also what I don't get about your situation. A "walk-in" by definition is someone who doesn't have an appointment. A "walk-in" isn't someone who has never been there. They're definitions are all screwy. Had you come in, sat down, and randomly got Yolanda everything would have been fine. C'est la vie.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross, $12 haircut or not, I think your first mistake was going to a barbershop named "Sweeney Todd's".... http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial9/sweeney/ (Legendary British serial killer? Not exactly what most people look for in a barber... Then again, you've always been special Ross). Haha.

Can't wait till Arts Fest this weekend!!! :0) Should give you some good material for this thing...

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's bullshit Ross. Obviously, these people are not the sharpest tools in the shed. You know what I think you should do and maybe they will get the point ... Make a joke out of it (briefly mention it) and then take it of their tip. The tip is worth more to them. I consider myself an average to generous hair cut tipper ... My average is three dollars, but if the person is nice and shoots the shit with me I give five dollars (which I think is probably above the average Super Cut tip) ... And if it is the same person, I don't care ... If she is friendly one time I give 5, if just cuts and no talks then I give 3 ... So in the end it's not about the haircut I guess ... It's about the quality of time spent in the chair .... I mean if no one talks then I am spent staring at myself for 15 minutes and we all know that's a sight for sore eyes.

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of the most screwed up policies I've personally ever heard of. I'm suprised Yolanda didn't stick up for you, one of her regular customers. Maybe you should try bringing Yolanda a cocktail or some other type of alcoholic bevarge next time and she may insist on lowering that price, or option 2 make it a "full service" hair-cut!!!

By the way Jared, pal, buddy whoever you are tipping $5 on a haircut, I hope that comes with a lap dance. WTF!

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Ross I think that this barbershop is actually doing better business than you might think. I'm a big fan of customer loyalty in places like car dealerships where it may sometimes be a life-altering purchase and discounts are needed. However in the case of a haircut you fell right into Sweeney Todd's trap- you came in, noticed the $12 special, and soon decided they did nice work. That was all in your process of finding your girl Yolanda. Now that you've found her, as you've stated theres no turning back and now Ross Weisbrot the walk-in Joe-Schmoe is now a paying any price they ask for. And they knowe you will because your clearly not about to start the whole process over somewhere else. They knew exactly what they were doing to you.

And on a side note- I think you have entirely too much time on your hands, but I did thoroughly enjoy reading your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home