7.09.2005

Some Weekend Thoughts


This weekend again takes me back into the New York City. I'll report any crazy happenings on Sunday night. One item to look forward to is the potential trip to the Astoria neighborhood of Queens to check out Bohemian Hall, which is NYC's only remaining beer garden. They serve Czech food, so Jessica is all excited because the Cz is her motherland.

So I was able to catch Big Fish on HBO this evening, and let me tell you - it was excellent. Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, and Billy Crudup do some fantastic acting, Tim Burton's directing is wonderful, and the dialogue is both humorous and upsetting at the same time. I won't ruin any of the story for you, but it's basically about a man who goes home to visit his father who is terminally ill. He realizes that he hardly knows anything about his father other than the highly-fabricated tales that he's told over and over throughout his life. This one gets the Ross stamp of approval.

In sports: Baseball All-Star game coming up on Tuesday, with the Home Run Derby on Monday. I'll check it out because I usually do. The Phillies suck - might as well pack it in for the season already. Billy Wagner has already said they can't win, and I'm believing him more and more each day. By the way, nothing thrills me more than seeing Derek Jeter kept off the All-Star team. I'll admit he's a great player, but hey, if the fan don't think he deserves to be there, then he can stay home for 3 days. Plus, anything involving the Yankees and their "misfortune" is a great story in my book. Also, former Sixer Larry Hughes signed some ridiculous contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers. What a waste of time. He was no good back in the late-90's when the Sixers drafted him and all he'll do in Cleveland is add to the franchise's miserable history. My initial prediction is that they'll still miss the playoffs and their $65-70 million over 5 years would have been better spent on someone else.

It was suggested to me that I do a write-up on the best burgers I've ever had, and I like the idea. I am, after all, an ameteur burger connosieur. I may ponder this one for a while and give you my Top 5 sometime in the near future. Also, when Douchebag Brandon returns from his Teen Tour counselor duties, I'll give him a guest column on his favorite burgers (since he considers himself to be the professional burger connosieur).

[Brandon's somewhere in the middle of Wyoming or Montana right about now. He was very drunk in this picture taken at Bobby's wedding. We'd like to thank that wall from preventing him from hitting the floor.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home