9.14.2005

Tuesday Randomness

First off, my apologies for not writing more yesterday, but as the Jessica kindly pointed out, I'm not too much fun to be around directly after an Eagles loss. I was disappointed and wasn't in much of a typing mood. But I then realized that I came away with the Week 1 win in the Jared Football Pool, which allowed me to re-coup $130 of my $170 investment. It also puts me in contention for the annual Eric Steinberg "Week 1 Win and Crappy the Rest of the Season" Trophy. But we'll see what happens.

Season premiere of "House" was on tonight, and I really enjoy that show. I used to never be into medical dramas - never used to watch "ER" or any of those. But last season, I became a regular watcher of "House" as well as "Grey's Anatomy" simply because they are great shows. I was speaking with longtime friend Bobby Hipp a while back, and he's my medical guru (he's currently in school to become a physician's assistant, which is basically like doing 4 years of med school in half the time.) Anyway, Bobby Hipp was telling me how "House" is completely unrealistic, and I understand this; I take it for entertainment value. Dr. House is absolutely nuts and there's no way any human being can be witty enough to come up with as many smart remarks and snappy comebacks as he does. Just not humanly possible. The only thing that bugs me about the show is that it's fairly predictable. There's the underlying subplot as to why this person got sick, and they have some ailment that befuddles everyone. Then the doctors think they know what it is, but they're wrong, and almost kill the person. Then at the end, they do some quick reasoning and come up with the out-of-the-box solution. That's how it goes every show. The fact of the matter is that I'll still watch it.

So, LL Cool J was a guest on the show tonight, as he played a Death Row inmate who had some crazy disease. He did a nice job in the role, and it got me thinking: LL Cool J kinda looks like Jerome Bettis. Anyone else see the slight resemblance?




I can already tell that Julie will give me the same response as she did for the Byron Leftwich/Gary Coleman comparison. Come on, make LL's face a little fatter, and add that beard/goatee thing and you have a clone.

So I get my coffee every day at work, and I mean every day. Yes, I am proudly addicted to caffeine, to the point where if I miss my morning cup, I will inevitably get a dull headache around 2-3pm. There are two kinds of coffee to choose from at work: the crappy kind in the big silver urn, or the brand name "gourmet" coffee called Ritazza which comes in 6 flavors every day. I can get a medium Ritazza for $1.39. Then a few months back they implemented this token system where you can get 10 tokens for $10 + tax and you can use a token for any size coffee, tea, or fountain soda. Not a bad deal when you can get the same cup for $1. I even get the large coffee on those days where I feel like I could fall asleep right in front of the laptop, ahem "Thinkpad". I know some of you will comment with "Well, I get my coffee for free every morning, but it really isn't that good." And that's a valid point. However you can never put enough stock into a good cup of coffee. I'm telling you - I enjoy my medium Ritazza Costa Rican blend and it's one of the few good things about the morning. However, you get a crappy cup of coffee and it's safe to say you could be in a bad mood until the lunch hour. This is a completely pointless story, but the bottom line is...well there is no bottom line. They do need to get iced coffee at work though. I may need to write a letter on that one.

I'm calling it a night. Back tomorrow...

3 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross, I suggest you check out "Prison Break", the new show on Fox Monday Nights. The only downside to it now is that it's at 9pm, which obviously interferes with Monday Night Football. But that's why they make VCRs (or Tivo). It's also easy to flip between the two (for me at least) b/c it's on channel 5 and MNF is on channel 6. Anyway, the only shows I usually make sure to watch every week are shows like simpsons and family guy. But for some reason, I'm drawn to this show. Maybe it's b/c one of the main characters is an engineer, which I am as well. I never get to do anything cool like break out of prison, though.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My team and I JUST had the conversation this morning, reiterating the fact - if the coffee man or barista makes a bad cup of Joe, it pretty much starts the day off on the wrong foot. My boss once paid for 2 cups of Dunkin Donuts coffee because her hazelnut wasn't up to par. (She is more obsessed with DD than us)!

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross... I gotta tell you - I'm sorry to be so predictable, but - I disagree. I did a random poll of people in my office, and they all think you're nuts (so now it's not just me!)

Jerome and LL are just two, decent to good-looking black men, around the same age, who both happen to have great lips. This does not mean that they look alike. Come on man.

Next thing you're going to be telling us that Venus and Serena look alike.

Oh wait... Maybe that one isn't so out there :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home