9.09.2005

Review: Coldplay 9/7/05

Coldplay show on Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden was a very enjoyable, solid performance. These guys put on a hell of a show and I have to say that I'm glad I went. I think it worked out well that I hadn't seen them before, because the new songs from X&Y added a lot to their performance and setlist options.

First, a few comments on MSG: I like how it's nearly the size of most other sports arenas you've ever been to, but feels a lot smaller. The seats are on less of an angle so rather than feeling like you are 10 stories above the stage, you just feel like you're just several hundred feet away from the stage. (In that last statement, I show no sign of depth or distance accuracy, but you get the idea). Interesting crowd demographic: mostly 20-somethings, probably more guys than girls there, not too many kids, and there were even 4 black people sitting in front of us! And believe it or not, they knew the words to every song!

Chris Martin knows how to get the crowd going. He just holds some notes for a few seconds longer than normal, and makes a few comments in between songs, and the people go nuts. His dancing on stage was absolutely hilarious: hopping around on one leg, with one arm in the air, spinning around in circles. I'm not sure if he realizes what he looks like while doing that, but let's be serious: the guy is a rockstar, so he has free reign to do what he wants when he's up on that stage.

The lighting was fantastic. There were huge video screens in the background with some crazy effects going on that I can't even begin to describe - you really would have to see it in person. Additionally, I've never seen such clarity on a video screen of that size. When they did a close up on the band, you could see the stubble growing on their faces. The sound was also very good compared to other arenas that I've been to. This is something that you take for granted, unless it's terrible, in which case it can ruin the quality of the concert.

As for the music, they did a nice variety of songs from their 3 albums, with most of the focus on the newest record. Highlights include: Square One (as the opener), Clocks, The Scientist, Talk, Yellow (when yellow balloons fell from the rafters), acoustic cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire", and Fix You as the closer. All of the songs were played very tightly and the critics don't give enough credit to the other band members, who are all solid musicians in their own right.

Overall, an excellent concert experience, and I've successfully had various Coldplay songs in my head for over 24 hours now.

The Setlist from the show:
Square One / Politik / Yellow / God Put A Smile Upon Your Face /Speed of Sound / Low / A Rush of Blood To The Head / Everything's Not Lost / White Shadows / The Scientist / Til Kingdom Come / Ring Of Fire / Don't Panic / Clocks / Talk/ Encore: Swallowed In The Sea / In My Place / Fix You

On another note: This is one of those "I Need to Get TiVo Moments". I saw the commercial tonight that Desperate Housewives and Curb Your Enthusiasm begin their new seasons on Sunday, Sept. 25th at 9pm. I had a panic moment, and then I realized that HBO always shows re-runs on Tuesday nights. Problem averted.

I'm heading back into the city this weekend and I'll be back on Sunday. As Jerry Springer used to say, take care of yourselves and each other.

3 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not sure because i haven't watched daytime TV in a loong time (as a result of this whole "working for a living" thing), but i think jerry springer still says that. i'll have to investigate...that'll give me something to do other than work.

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

get comcast ross. then you can on demand pretty much anything. including "HBO Latenight." and we all know how much we need that.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

Update: I realized that the new premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm is on at 10pm on Sunday, 9/25, NOT at 9pm as previously mentioned. Now, I can watch both Curb and Desperate Housewives. Thank goodness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home