9.06.2005

Tuesday's Random Thoughts

Again, let me reiterate my liking for the short week - before you can even turn around, we're basically at Wednesday, which means we're well on our way to the weekend. And let's face it, when you're in the working world, there isn't a whole hell of a lot to look forward to other than the weekends.

But, this week is not the case. I have a very exciting mid-week event that I will be attending. I will be seeing Coldplay's show tomorrow night at Madison Square Garden ("The World's Most Famous Arena"). I'm pretty pumped since I've been meaning to catch Coldplay (play on words not intended) for a couple of years now, and to see them at MSG is an added bonus. I've only been to MSG once before, back in my teen travel summer camp days (1995-1996), we took a tour of the Garden while we were in NYC, but there weren't any events taking place at the time. I'll give a review of the show when I'm back on Thursday night.

Of course, the NFL is right around the corner, as the opening game is on Thursday evening. I'm as happy as a pig in shit when it comes time for NFL season, so I'll probably be writing a lot about America's new favorite sport (I'm deeming the NFL to be deserving of that monicker). First up, I hate ESPN NFL Analyst Merrill Hoge. He craps on the Eagles every single year and it annoys me to no end. The ESPN experts give their picks, and he's the only dipshit who doesn't pick the Birds to win the NFC East. Instead he picks the Cowboys. I think he deserves a good sock in the face for publishing such bullshit.

Now, as I've mentioned before, there are certain topics that the RPR doesn't often touch. One of them is politics. But I think it's worth mentioning that I really don't know what George W. Bush's rationale is behind nominating John Roberts for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court when the guy's only been a member for 6 weeks now. That's like some kid getting hired right out of college into a company, and then when the CEO retires a couple months later, the Board of Directors decides to promote the college kid to the CEO position. What do the other justices think? The RPR has done its research and found out that 2 associate justices (John Paul Stevens and Antonin Scalia) have each been a member of the Court since 1975 and 1986 respectively. If I were them, I'd be pissed. They are being passed over for a guy who is basically a rookie on the squad. And if the nomination for Roberts passes, we're stuck with this guy until he croaks or retires. Roberts is 50 years old now, so it's safe to say that this strong conservative could be in that position for 30+ years. What's worse is that Bush even gets to nominate yet another justice to replace Rehnquist. This is a bad situation folks, very bad. Why couldn't more justices leave when Clinton was around so he could have nominated some decent representatives rather than these crazy ultra conservatives that Bush is bringing on board? I don't think people realize the lasting effect this has on our country.... I think we should all be pretty scared at this point...

Don't worry, I will be back on Thursday night.

4 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross -

Just wanted to clarify why Dubya nominated John Roberts and not Scalia or Stephens - the liberals in Congress view Scalia and Stephens as ultra-conservatives and believe that they would rule the court that way for however many years they would be Chief Justice. Roberts on the other hands is conservative, but not hardline conservative like the other two - much more moderate comparatively. Thus, the rationale is that Roberts would have an easier time getting approved than would the other two. However, I do agree with your right out of college to CEO rationale. But let's face it, Bush has the power to do what he's doing, so wouldn't you put in your own guy to keep your legacy going? Makes sense from his perspective at least.

And how can you knock Hodge? He's a former Steelers lineman, that's why he never picks the Eagles...but can you blame him? Just kidding.

Take it easy Rosspa.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

BBC: Good call on the Supreme Court comments. See, thats why I don't usually comment on politics because when it comes to brass tacks, I don't know my ass from my elbow. I just spout off whatever I feel like writing. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Additionally, I still dislike Merrill Hoge. He needs to get his act together and get behind the Eagles.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trying living in washington dc and not being into politics ross. you meet people at a bar and they are all "lobbyists" or "work on the Hill" or work at a "think tank" and they always want to talk politics. this always results in them talking and me just drinking more whiskey.

further, merril hodge is the poo.

additionally, i just got caught up on laguna beach a few days ago, here's my 2 cents: i love LC, but what is she doing with her life? i would love to know what these kids parents do for a living. i mean, beach front mansions AND condos in the mansions? thats absurd. part of me feels bad for jason because normally a jerk like him would just be a jerk in his town and/or high school, but the entire country thinks this kid is a jerk. lastly, maybe stephen comes home so much because due to his celebrity he is an outcast in his college community. you know, despite his good looks and impeccable fashion sense they kids still make fun of him and shun him for being "that good looking kid with an impeccable fashion sense from laguna beach." just a thought.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

parting thought, i like bbc showing up on the comments. lets try to keep it that way bbc. maybe you can fit it in your killer day of senior classes, l'ambs, and drinking (gin).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home