8.29.2005

People Waving from Boats, Gary Coleman, and the Real OC

Ladies and Gentleman, back in action after the weekend and have plenty of things to update you on. First of all, I'd like to direct your attention to the right sidebar where the counter will show you that I now have over 1,000 hits on the Ross Press Release. Or, as I like to think about it, it's the same 20 people who have checked this site once a day for 50 days. Either way, 1,000 hits isn't too shabby so thank you to all of my loyal readers.

So this past weekend took the Jessica and I out to the North Fork of Long Island in a beach town called Southold, NY. Alison and Reza have a lake house there, but you could also call it a beach house because the beach is only a 2 minute walk away. And I guess I should mention that it's not really Alison and Reza's house, but Alison's parents' house. Regardless, that's where we went. You can see from the map that it's quite a hike, but those smart people in Connecticut and New York decided to make a ferry that goes across the Long Island Sound from Bridgeport, CT, to Port Jefferson, NY. And for $15 each way, it's definitely worth it to sit on the ferry rather than to sit in traffic. Here's what I don't get about the ferry though. As we're pulling out of the dock, there was another ferry that was pulling in. So all of the people on the other ferry feel the need to wave to us. I don't get it. Just because I'm on a ferry and you're on a ferry means that we have to wave to each other. What am I? A bus driver? A cop? If I'm walking and I pass by another pedestrian, do I wave to them as well? I'd be waving hello all day. It's a nice gesture, but completely overrated and I won't find myself doing it any time soon.

We hung out on the beach on Saturday, and the one thing that is vastly different about the Long Island beaches is that they are very rocky. I'm talking half sand and half rocks. And the water was friggen cold -- clean, but cold. Luckily, for the first time in many trips to a beach situation, I came away without a sunburn. I guess that's a significant win for me, to say the least. One thing some of you may not know is that Long Island also has several wineries out in its eastern end. We checked out 2 of them and I have to admit that they were pretty cool. I was never a huge fan of wine, but have more of an appreciation for it after the trip with the Jessica to Napa Valley in May, 2004, and also since the Jessica is a wine-o and often forces it upon me. (Just kidding!)

First place (Bedell Cellars) had a very nice tasting room, and for $5 we were able to taste 5 or 6 different wines. Some were enjoyable and others I didn't really care for. Really, it's for the experience and to try something new. The second place we went to (Osprey's Winery) was a different scene - live music and cheap wine. So we all split a bottle for $6.50 and enjoyed a bunch of middle-aged men play classic tunes from the 70's while middle-aged women danced around with a wine buzz. Everyone had a ball.

Had some time to kill before dinner, so we went to see "The 40 Year Old Virgin". If you want a funny movie, you have to see this one. I'm a fan of Steve Carrell from his recent work with "The Office", and let me tell you - he was hilarious in this flick. We all love some raunchy humor, and we love it even more when a movie takes it a little too far. We were laughing our asses off for 2 hours straight. What was also funny was the old folks who walked out about 20 minutes into it. (They need to learn how to research what a movie is about before they pay $10/person to see it.) The old folks who stayed enjoyed it about as much as we did. I know I didn't give much in the way of a detailed review, but I'd recommend you see it for yourself. You'll laugh,and let's be honest, funny movies are always worthwhile, no matter how stupid they may be.

Excellent dinner at the Frisky Oyster on Saturday night and then we were pretty beat so didn't too too much else. On Sunday, before we took off, we took a little ride around the island and realized that Long Island has some nice scenery, and in fact, much of the area is preserved very well. You don't see too much trash, the land/ocean is all very clean. Far cry from New York City, that's for sure. Overall, a fun trip and if anyone ever has the chance to get out to the eastern portion of Long Island, I'd recommend it. Of course, I've never been to the Hamptons, which is down on the South Fork, so that extravaganza of wealth might be another story. Regardless, North Fork is a good time.

Other comments: So last Thursday night, I was watching preseason NFL on ESPN - Atlanta vs. Jacksonville. They are interviewing Jacksonville QB Byron Leftwich, and I'm thinking to myself, "He looks like an older version of Gary Coleman" from "Diff'rent Strokes". Check out the comparison, let me know if you agree:




Laguna Beach Update: So I caught last week's episode and tonight's episode all at once. All I have to say is "Jesus H. Christ". I think the show is beginning to piss me off with how ridiculous it is and how stupid some of these kids are. I mean, come on...who has more balls? Jason, who has a girlfriend, for going to the Winter Formal with that girl, Alex...or Alex, for asking Jason, who has a girlfriend. They both ought to be socked in the face. And Jessica (Jason's pseudo girlfriend) needs a good smack upside the head as well for sticking with this shmo for as long as she did. Even I was getting sick of hearing her bitch about him for 10 minutes of every episode. When I saw that Stephen and LC would be back in tonight's new episode, I knew things would be good. So it's Valentine's Day and Stephen decides to make a trip home to go out with Kristin, "Just because it's Valentine's Day and you need to have a Valentine". So he drives 500 miles home for the weekend to be led on by bitchface Kristin. Then, Stephen decides to be get flowers and chocolates for LC and drop them off 1 hour before he heads back up north. He made the mistake of telling her he was in town the night before because they she starts wondering where the hell he was with his flowers and chocolates on Saturday night rather than Sunday morning. Smart move there, cuz. Jason finally decides to break it off with Jessica, which we all saw coming for about 5 episodes now. Who says they'll be back together within the next 2 episodes? Things keep getting crazier and crazier in Laguna...

Big week for sports: First off, how about that 64 yard TD pass from McNabb to Owens on Friday night? I don't care if they never say a word to each other as long as they connect on plays like that throughout the season. This week: Phillies play the Mets for a 3 games series beginning Tuesday night. I will be watching the games Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Then, Thursday night, Eagles final preseason game vs. the J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets! which I am also lucky enough to watch on the TV and scout the young guys who are fighting for a roster position. Also, first PSU football game on Saturday vs. South Florida. I'll be in the city to watch that game. Exciting week, can't wait!

Speaking of PSU football....a good friend of the RPR, Mr. Andrew Franson will be a guest columnist this week as he is kind enough to write a PSU football preview article. He has some great insight to the team's potential this year and has a few other theories which will be put to the test this fall. Be on the lookout for that one.

Enjoy the week...

2 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Rosspa for reaching 1000 hits ... Thats a 1000 more hits than I have ... Keep up the great work kid ... I thoroughly enjoy reading the posts ... As for Long Island, Home of the New York Fishsticks (for those of you who are not hockey fans ... that's the hated nickname of the Islanders) ... Have you ever heard a Long Island girl talk??? It may be home of J-A-P, USA ... I always wished the Long Island Expressway would go straight to Manhattan and bypass Queens ... Oh well ... Don't really see the Gary Coleman look a lot ... BUT then again I think the guy from Garden State and Scrubs (don't know his name) looks like Ray Romano ... Ok I'm out!

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared, you're thinking of Zach Braff, who does happen to look a bit like a younger Ray Romano.

Ross, you on the other hand, are nuts. That guy doesn't look anything like Gary Coleman. Sorry man. :0) Congrats on your 1,000 hits though! (I think I'm about 500 of them, haha)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home