8.23.2005

Just Checking In...

Long day at work today...gotta go in early tomorrow, but just wanted to check in. Couple of quick items:

- So I realized that it's the end of August, and ask, where the hell did the summer go? I mean honestly, the summers in between college years went by rather quickly, but when you are working straight through the year, they go even faster. Summers just don't have the same excitement surrounding them when you're stuck inside the office all day regardless of how nice it is outside. But at least I can keep cool in the air conditioning (and remain pasty white without a tan).

- Currently in the CD player in the car: Alice in Chains "MTV Unplugged" from 1996. It has been decided by the rock music gurus (Eric Steinberg and myself) that this is the best MTV Unplugged ever and there's no arguing it. If you argue, that means that you (a) have never heard this Alice in Chains performance; or (b) do not appreciate this acoustic brilliance. I will put Nirvana's Unplugged at #2 and the Eric Clapton performance at #3. I am willing to hear your top 3 MTV Unplugged shows...leave a comment.

- Jared told me some great stories about when he met Lance Armstrong a few times in the last couple of weeks. He mentions that Lance is a very cool guy, down to earth, loves to joke around, and even made fun of his New York accent. He even took Lance's Subaru for an oil change at the Jiffy Lube (Lance got the car for free from a sponsor). Additional highlight: meeting Sheryl Crow the other day as well. I think it's safe to say that Jared wins the contest for "Coolest Internship" of anyone I know.

- I just realized that I completely missed Laguna tonight. Not sure how that happened. I was in a daze after coming home late from work, and then I got caught up in watching preseason NFL. Anyone want to fill me in? It would be greatly appreciated.

Back on Tuesday night...

4 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

unfortunately, i haven't heard alice and chains unplugged, but i'll be sure to download that tonight (i know, i'm cheap). I'm definitely a fan of nirvana unplugged as well...listen to it on the computer at work every so often. I also liked neil young unplugged. I've been listening to that more and more because I'm trying to learn guitar and his songs are fairly easy.

I also missed the new laguna, as it is on past my bedtime. The best part about MTV reality shows, however, is that before the new show each week, they recap the shows from the past week or two. So if I don't feel like staying up past 10, I can catch it the next week at 9:30.

On a semi-related subject, isn't it sad that we go from waking up in the late morning, or early afternoon even, at school to waking up when the sun's still up for work. I thought 8am classes a couple days a week were bad at PSU, but that's nothing compared to getting up at 5:45 for 5 days a week. Don't some European countries have naptime at work. I think that would be a good idea. I would be much more energetic (and maybe even more productive) if I could catch a power nap in the early afternoon. Get the ball rolling on that, Ross.

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good job with the top 3 Ross. Well, you know I favor the Alice in Chains unplugged album over any, and of course the Nirvana unplugged in a close second. Very good call with Clapton in the number 3 spot. Although, I think, for honorable mention: 10,000 Maniacs Unplugged? - Great version of Because the Night ;)

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe nobody mentioned jay z unplugged yet. thats some good stuff as well.

my life would be 10x better if stephen and lc would just get together. she is better than kristin in every possible way.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

I love all of these comments! In fact, I'll even personalize my responses.

Tom - Definitely check out Alice in Chains Unplugged, you will love it. Also, good call about Laguna. I can catch up next week at 9:30. Regarding the waking up late...I do love sleeping in and miss the fact that we can't do it anymore other than the weekends. I guess I'm lucky that I'm able to roll into work between 9:30-10am if I don't have any early meetings. But then again, I'm usually there late, so it all evens out.

Alexis - excellent work on the Laguna update. Great details and commentary. I may have to sign you up as my new Laguna columnist. I guess I didn't miss anything big since we all know that Jason is a bastard, Jessica is stupid, Kristin is a bitch,and the show is better with the old cast.

Eric - The 10,000 Maniacs Unplugged is a quality performance and it spawned Natalie Merchant's short-lived solo career. "Because the Night" and "These Are the Days" are excellent from the Unplugged, but they made the mistake of playing them right at the beginning of the show. I would have saved these for at least the middle-to-end of the show.

Owen - I actually am a big fan of the Jay-Z Unplugged. In fact, there's a funny story that goes along with it. The CD came out in early January that one year, right after the beginning of the spring semester. I remember purchasing the CD from the Best Buy on Atherton in State College, on Martin Luther King Day, from a black cashier. Yes, let's recap: Ross, the white kid, buying Jay-Z's Unplugged record on Martin Luther King Day, while being rung up by a black cashier. If that isn't priceless, I don't know what is. Additionally, I am not a huge fan of rap music, but enjoy Jay-Z. He gets the Roots to back him up during this performance and it turned out great. I'd put this show in the Top 7 or 8 for sure, just for its innovation and creativity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home