8.26.2005

I need to come up with more creative titles for these posts

Getting a late start here on Thursday night, but at least that 8:45am meeting on Friday got cancelled. Not too much to report on tonight, but let's see what we have...

- Went out tonight after work for the first time in a while. One guy we hang out with is leaving the company (big surprise, someone leaving the company) and so we all went out to Opus. In Armonk, NY, there's only 2 places that we go out after work: Opus and the Ram. Opus is the nicer of the two. It's a bar on the main level and a fairly decent restaurant on the upper level. We go there when we want to feel classy, and have Chuck the bartender hook us up with $4 bottles of Coors Light. Classy, indeed. Now, let me tell you about the Ram. It's actually the bar connected to the Wellesley Inn, but it used to be a Ramada Inn like 5 years ago. So they shortened it to "The Ram" and thus the name stuck. This is the dive joint where we go and Cooke (black waitress with the mini-fro, tinted glasses, always approaches that fine line between English and Ebonics) hooks us up with like 10 pitchers for like $20 or something ridiculous, but then we end up giving her a $30 tip because everyone feels the need to cheap in $5 a piece. They run a clean business, I swear. But don't cross Cooke - you go up to the bar and order from the bartender or another waitress....whoa, watch out....you are blacklisted and we go back to being charged regular price. Again, another classy joint.

- You know what I am a big fan of? Breakfast for dinner. What an amazing concept. Some of you may know me as a creature of habit, and I'll admit to this. One of my habits is that I like to have eggs on Sundays for breakfast or brunch. Omelettes, scrambled eggs, whatever. But sometimes I don't get a chance to get my Sunday eggs, one night during the week, I'll put together a breakfast for dinner: mushroom & cheddar cheese omelette, 2 hash brown patties, and a bagel with butter (Dr. Atkins is rolling over in his grave over this carbohydrate-filled meal). Omelettes are one of the few food items that I feel I've mastered the art of. I make a mean omelette and will put mine up against anyone else's - I am that confident. Anyway, I did the breakfast for dinner meal tonight, and it turned out great, especially when you want to get away from the normal routine of meat & potatoes type meals or just making some pasta with sauce. Gotta switch it up a little. Who else is with me on this concept? I can't be the only one.

- Great reader comment from todays' Bill Simmons "More Cowbell" entry:

I recently started trying to eat more healthy (I figured Taco Bell 5 times a week isn't the best way to be nice to my body). This has lead to an increase in actually looking at nutrition labels on the food I eat. And here's my question: Why does corn have calories? It is in the same state going out as coming in. That's idiotic. It seems to me that it should have negative calories because the body uses more energy to push the stuff through than it gets out of "digesting" it.-- Chris, Urbandale, IA

- I'll be away this weekend, but I'll check in afterwards to catch up. Enjoy the weekend, there aren't too many more where it's sunny and 82 degrees outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home