8.25.2005

Wednesday's Commentary

I need to start writing earlier so I can spend more time on telling a story or something. Instead, I sit down to write at midnight, and then I get tired and don't write too much. It's a lose-lose situation. Anyway, let's make this short and sweet.

- I think Wednesday is the worst night of the week for television. Honestly, can't the networks get together and find something decent to air? The best they can come up with is "So You Think You Can Dance?" and "Teen Brat Camp" or whatever it's called. I was so bored, I watched a baseball game, and then watched ESPNews over and over again. At least the Little League World Series is on. I'll tell you - these kids are good. I mean come on, 12 years old and they are on there way to becoming solid ball players. I respect them because I was never any good at playing baseball...in fact I think I once went a whole season without collecting an official base hit. Either way, it's just a shame that their goal is make it to Williamsport, PA. If you've ever been there, you know there isn't much to see. Hey, Owen, remember "The Circuit"?

- Other sports updates: Somehow, some way, the Phillies have themselves right in contention for the wild card spot. It amazes me because they have completely flown under the radar for the last 2 months. I remember they were playing well in mid-June, then next thing you know, they are in the basement of the NL East. Now, they are back in 2nd place in the division, and are right near top spot in the wild card. Unbelievable. It's a shame that I've already hit that point in the season where I am focused on football only, but have to admit that if by some chance the Fightin Phils make the playoffs, I will be sure to watch...while they get swept in the Divisional series against a team like the Cardinals.

On the Eagles front, RB Correll Buckhalter will miss his second consecutive season, and this will be 3 seasons out of the last 4 that he's missed with knee injuries. Hey Correll, better call it a career, brother. In an unsurprising move, the Eagles put in a call to 35-year old Dorsey Levens, to bring him out of retirement for the 18th time.

- So I do a lot of thinking while I'm in the car, and tend to think about things like "What should I eat for dinner?" and "Should I do the laundry tonight or tomorrow night?" You know - tough questions that revolve around my exciting life. Usually, I come up with some good blog material while I'm driving home from work as well. Tonight, I came up with a great music poll that I'd like to hear people's thoughts. When you're driving, and a good song comes on the radio, and before the song is over, you've reached your destination. What songs would you sit in the car for several minutes, just to hear the end of? And I'm not talking, "I'll just hear the last 30 seconds". I'm talking, "I just sat in the car for 3+ or 4+ minutes listening to the rest of that song, just because I had to".

My Top 5 (all tend to be longer songs and most are in the classic rock genre) :

5) The Doors - "Light My Fire"
4) Guns 'N Roses - "November Rain"
3) Bob Dylan - "Like a Rolling Stone"
2) Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
1) Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird"

This is by no means an all-inclusive list...rather what came to me off the top of my head. Let me know what you guys think about this one.

I'll check in on Thursday night.

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very strange that as I read this post, Free Bird is on the radio. So i guess i'll start with my top 5 "have to hear the end of this" songs. These are also off the top of my head, but in no particular order.

-Dave Matthews Band - #41
-Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man (I enjoy this more than Free Bird for some reason)
-Eagles-Hotel California
-Eric Clapton-Layla (the original version, not unplugged)
-Led Zeppelin-When the Levee Breaks

By the way, Ross, the last year I played baseball (I think it was 8th grade), I only had one hit and it was off a bunt. I managed to walk quite a bit because I was so short and had a small strike zone.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how could i foget the "circuit"?

my 5 songs would be:

-INXS: "need you tonight"
-the cure: "friday i'm in love"
-creedence: "bad moon rising"
-stones: "can't always get what you want"
-green day: "basketcase"

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need a guest post from Jamie talking about the first few days of craziness at THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

Jared, I spoke with my sister today and she said that she'd try to check in sooner or later with some comments on the craziness of freshman year. She said "Remind me" which means I'll probably forget too and we'll never see anything from her. In that case, you remind me and i'll remind her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home