2.16.2006

Putting the "R" in Random

A few items to cover for your Thursday night/Friday morning or whenever you get around to reading the RPR:

- First off, this is typical Jonny Kahn:

JBK 007: got a cheney joke for your blog
Auto response from SUBFOMA: I am currently at the work
JBK 007: wait i forgot how it goes
JBK 007: damnit

- Moving right along... I have a few comments on the MySpace phenomenon. I'm sure everyone has a friend who has a MySpace page. I've seen a handful of them and can't quite figure them out. They are like a Friendster/Online Bulletin Board/Blog hybrid. But yet half of the MySpace pages that I view, I feel like they don't use it to the full potential. All it says is what they like, who their friends are, shows a few pictures and maybe has an audio clip embedded.

Granted, I guess it's easier than making your own website, and you don't need to have as much to say as I do on a blog like this. I still have this view that most of the MySpace pages out there are like visiting websites that are half under construction with a few links, a few wisecracks from your friends, a couple of pictures from the last time you went out to the bar, and the fact that you like Old School, Anchorman, and Napoleon Dynamite. I need more substance that that. Many people don't use the blogging facility, which could add some depth to these sites for sure. I do give them credit for some of the creative backgrounds and graphics that I've seen, some of which are cool to look at and others just make it that much more difficult to see your friend Anthony's comments about how fun last Saturday night was while you were out picking up chicks.

Then I see that people send comments back and forth, which just makes it a glorified IM conversation, but instead it's archived on your site and the commenter's picture is next to it. Oh well, I guess it's one of those phenomenons that everyone is into right now, including out 20- something generation. However, one outlet that I feel is most beneficial for MySpace pages is for musicians. This is where I give a plug to the Downtown Harvest, the band that my buddy, Frank, is in. Check out the site and the 4 songs they currently have posted. They have two shows in New York City coming up: one in early March and one in early April, but I'll plug those as the time comes closer.

By the way, if anyone reading this has a MySpace page, please post a link in the comments section so I can check it out. I will admit that it's fun to see what people put on these things...

- Don't get me wrong: I'm glad the Winter Olympics are on. Hey, they only come around every four years. But if I have my choice between Men's Figure Skating and "The Office", what do you think I'll pick? I hate when my shows get pre-empted.

- Craigslist is full of surprises. People will offer just about anything on that site. (Courtest of Gawker.com)

- We all loved Oprah's grilling of James Frey. We also loved (and were horrified by) Tom Cruise's last appearance on Oprah when he acted like a lunatic. What if Oprah had grilled Tom like she did to James Frey? It might go something like this...

That's all for now. Enjoy Friday and I may or may not check in over the weekend... we'll see how ambitious I'm feeling.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last night i was watching USA women's curling vs. sweden. little known fact: team usa has some really attractive women curlers. google "cassie johnson."

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger The Ross said...

I'm impressed. Definitely beats the women on the hockey team. Here's a link to Cassie Johnson's bio. She has a pretty lengthy resume.

http://www.usacurl.org/athletes/biographies/cassie_johnson05.html

And while we're at it, Curling is a very underrated sport. How can you not love shuffleboard on ice? One of these days, the US will catch the Curling fever.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/jmo525

 

Post a Comment

<< Home