4.13.2006

Let's See What's in the Random Bucket

- Big shout out to Jessica's cousin, Karen, and her family for an enjoyable Passover dinner on Wednesday night. They are a bunch of characters and there was a wide range of interesting conversation, argument, and off-color commentary.

Similar to politics, I'm not here to talk about religion in any detail. One thing I am curious about is related to spring-time religious dietary restrictions. I'd like to take a poll on which is more difficult: keeping a modified diet for 8 days for Passover, where you can't eat any bread or any food item with any yeast, etc. and most other standard items; or giving up one item for 40 days for Lent. For anybody who follows either of these restrictions, just curious to hear your thoughts to which would be more difficult. If you don't follow either of them, then just leave your thoughts on which you think would be tougher to keep.

- Would anyone disagree that "La Bamba" is the best song ever written in Spanish? I don't really know too many songs in Spanish, but it sure beats any song sung by Ricky Martin, Shakira, JLo, or the guys who gave us "The Macarena".

- Something tells me that if Penn State ever decided to offer this class, it might fill up very quickly. We're talking like Frankie Clemente and Wine Tasting quickly.

- Overheard in New York is a great site to read about all of the bizarre comments that people say and the off-the-wall conversations they have, and don't realize that it's being overheard by a complete stranger. Comments and conversations are always funnier out of context.

- I guess it's good to know that The Sports Guy, Bill Simmons, doesn't have a MySpace page.

Q: MySpace. Add me. Update more often.
-- Chad, Spokane, Wash.

SG: Every so often, I get an e-mail like this from someone who thinks that I have a MySpace account and wants to be added to my list of buddies or something. Just for the record, I do not have a MySpace account. At least not yet.

(And while we're here, I don't post on other people's MySpace accounts; I don't exchange IMs with people; I don't go into chat rooms; I don't post on any message boards other than the Sons of Sam Horn; I don't belong to Facebook.com; I don't play video games or video poker against random strangers online; and I don't randomly show up at bars by myself introducing myself to people and saying things like, "Hey, who wants to do some shots!" I have nothing against any of those things; I just don't do them. You have to believe me. Back to the column.)

- I'm heading back home to visit the fam in the Philly burbs this weekend, for the first time in about 10 weeks! Believe me, I've been getting grief from Mom & Dad on this. It's alright, I will get back on the 4-6 week track with the trips to the Lafayette Hill.

Enjoy the weekend.

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up pasta for lent this year and it was damn hard. However, this year my church (catholic) discouraged "giving things up" and encouraged changing a behavior, thought pattern, etc to become a better person. like my cousin decided to not gossip anymore. Not sure how that worked out, but I think I like the idea of doing a little something extra like being nice to my creepy neighbor with the cats rather than depriving myself of delicious pasta. We'll see next year.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger The Ross said...

The Jews just get deprived of normal food every year for 8 days. There's no way around it. But if I could change a behavior for 8 days instead, I'd be all for it. Not sure what that behavior would be, but I'd come up with something. Pasta sounds really good right about now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home