4.02.2006

Quick Post from the Weekend

A few items about the weekend before I go park myself in front of the television for the rest of the evening...

- First shout out to Jen and Jordan for a good time at dinner on Friday with the Jessica and I. Since one of our favorite things is to check out all of the top notch burger joints in the city, we checked another one off of our list, as we went to Rare (Lexington Ave between 37th & 38th St.) You wouldn't think that Rare is a great name for a place that specializes in burgers, but it was fantastic. Ever have a burger "flambeed in whiskey"? Every bite was a myriad of flavor in your mouth between the beef, spices, and a hint of booze. It was wonderful. I also found out that Jen and Jordan are big fans of the blog, so that's another reason for the shout out. I also offered a guest columnist spot to Jordan (who has a very similar sense of humor as myself) so let's look forward to some material from him in the future.

- Second shout out to Alison and Reza for having the Jessica and I out at their house (!) in Long Island on Saturday. Very impressed with what they did to the place... nice work kids. They are always very hospitable hosts and maintained that status after our visit this weekend. Interesting story from Saturday night. We to a local bar called The Nutty Irishman. When we walked in, I noticed a guy doing sign language with a few other people. Didn't think anything of it. As we walked further toward the back of the bar, I noticed several others doing sign language. Turns out, there were about 30-40 people in the bar apart of a gathering of the hearing impaired. It was fascinating. Here's what I noticed:
  • They were boozing it up pretty well.
  • One bartender asked on of their aids how to sign "Thank you" and "You're Welcome", which I thought was admirable.
  • The loud music didn't bother them.
  • The band must have been confused that so many people were in the audience, yet so many of them were ignoring them.
  • Jessica brought up an interesting point: Are deaf people allowed to drive? Granted, their sight is fine, but wouldn't they be at some disadvantage not being able to hear a car horn in an instance when there's a dangerous situation? If anyone knows, please enlighten me.

Just wanted to mention it, because it was a cool experience to see the communication between these people. They also did a nice job of juggling their drinks while signing with both hands. You had to have seen it.

- So it was pretty nice weather this weekend. Sitting outside for just a short time this morning/afternoon, yes, I got a little sunburn. Unbelievable.

- Weekend TV shows that I enjoy thoroughly: VH1's Best Week Ever and E!'s Talk Soup. Both are basically about the week in crazy television, both love to make fun of American Idol and all of today's celebrities, and both are good for 30 minutes of lowball humor.

- Mark it down: Monday night's NCAA Men's Basketball Championship between UCLA and Florida may actually turn out to be an excellent game. The media and the fans were all pissed off because there would be a champion other than Duke, UConn, Villanova, or any other 2006 powerhouse, but I think this UCLA/Florida game will be a good one. Perfect example of a great offensive team vs. a great defensive team. As it's gone in the past, the defensive team is the one that should pull it out. If that happens, then we'll see the championship go back to southern California.

- Anyone have any thoughts on Dailylight Savings Time? Doesn't really seem to bother me, but I've found that many others get all riled up on the topic due to being jipped 1 hour of sleep. Eh, I'm already over it.

That's it for tonight. I'll be back tomorrow...

2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Nutty Irishman...You were in my hometown!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

I was representing in Farmingdale. Nice little town it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home