10.14.2005

Thursday Edition

Hey I'm back after the wonderful Yom Kippur holiday, where it's anything but a holiday. I have to say that the fasting may have been the easiest today than it has been in prior years, yet I'm not sure why. Let's face it: I love to eat. I'm always hungry and my metabolism is holding its own, at least for the time being. However, when you go 24 hours without eating and you know you can't have anything, it really doesn't end up being that bad.

Here's what you do: Have a decent meal (preferably made by the Jessica) the night before and eat it as close to sundown as you can (those are the rules of the game). Then, go to bed at a decent time and wake up when you have to. For this holiday, you end up sitting in services for several hours, so just try to focus on the task at hand rather than your empty stomach. Then, when you come home in the afternoon, again, just keep yourself occupied. For me, I did some work in the afternoon, just so I didn't fall too far behind. Although I probably shouldn't have done the work, I guess you have to make some sacrifices. Any case, then the next thing you know, it's like 6pm or so, and sundown is upon you. That's it...congratulations, you're done. At the finish line, you can consume a heavy carb meal with several bagels, some soup, and all sorts of good stuff (once again, preferably made by the Jessica). I felt like I didn't skip a beat, and avoided having a lawsuit being filed against me by my stomach.

Forgot to mention that last weekend we saw Proof with Gwyneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins, and Jake Gylenhaal. In case you haven't seen the preview, here's the premise: Hopkins plays a college math professor who has come up with all of these innovations in modern mathematics, but then he goes psycho. Gwyneth plays his daughter and there's concern that she going crazy as well. Jake Gylenhaal plays a potential love interest for Gwyneth and a student of Anthony Hopkins'. He finds some unbelievable work proving some mathematical theories that Hopkins left behind, but then they aren't sure if it's his work or Gwyneth's work. I won't give away the ending. Anyway, the movie was alright. I think its strong points were the acting. All 3 main characters played their roles very well and that's definitely worth mentioning. However, the plot didn't really do it for me and it never gets you on the edge of your chair. By the time it ends, you don't care what the outcome is and the movie doesn't even tie up the loose ends. Ross Recommendation: Don't bother unless you're a big fan of any of the actors, or there's absolutely nothing else you want to see.

File this one under "The Vegas Odds Makers Don't Know Their Ass From Their Elbow": So, Penn State, now ranked #8 in the nation with their 6-0 record visit Michigan this weekend. We all know that the Nittany Lions typically have a tough time in Ann Arbor, not having won there since 1996, but PSU is a lot better this year and Michigan seems to be a lot worse (they aren't even ranked at the present time). With that being said, Vegas has made Penn State a 3.5 point underdog for Saturday's game! Someone please explain this to me. How can an unranked team be favored against a Top10 team in the nation? Either Vegas still doesn't believe Penn State is for real, or they really don't like the Lions chances in the Big House. As always, we'll see what happens on Saturday at 3:30pm.

That's all I have for tonight. I'll check in at some point during the weekend...

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm headed to the game in ann arbor this weekend. roadtripping with hoffman, tarosky, and roommate scott. i'll have a full report on the trip when i get back. the whole underdog thing doesn't make sense to me either. also, that shitty mix tape thing was pretty funny. that mix tape was pretty awful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home