6.13.2006

Discrimination in South Philly and Details on Upcoming Business Trip

Couple of items...

- I'm always quick to point out the lovely things that occur in my beloved Philadelphia. Some of the news stories that come out of the City of Brotherly Love are enough to leave you scratching your head. The latest is a sign that was put up at Geno's Steaks (you know, of the famous Geno's vs. Pat's argument -- I have news: they're both ok, but I can name 5 places that are better). The sign reads: "This is AMERICA.... WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH". So of course, the next thing you know, the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations is filing a complaint saying that the establishment is displaying a bias, and are trying to force them to take the sign down. I heart Philadelphia!

- I don't talk too much about work on this blog. I make it personal policy to stay away from the work topic because, to be honest, I just don't feel like talking about work when I write up my blog entries in the evenings. However, after just about 2 years of work experience, I'm finally taking a business trip, and a pretty cool one in that respect. My job doesn't really lend itself to travel. I don't meet with any customers or clients; everyone I work with is within the company... that's what you get in Corporate Finance.

However, for a few days next week, I will be traveling for business down to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We have a whole team of people in the Rio office and I have the opportunity to go down there and attend a workshop and dig into a few items that the Latin America team is working on. It'll be a busy few days, but I'm excited. Get down there on Sunday morning, just in time for the Brazil/Australia match in the World Cup. I'm already predicting that this will rank in the Top 5 All-Time Spectacles that I'll witness. To give you an idea, the whole Brazil office cleared out today for the opening match. They all left at 12pm for a soccer game! I'm happy that I get off of work for the national holidays, and they close the office down for an athletic event.

Of course this would be a nice time to have a digital camera, but I don't currently own one. I'm banking on the fact that my boss will have his camera and I'll hopefully get a few pictures on the RPR at some point. Anyway, I'll be down there until Wednesday night of next week before flying back. Let's hear it for a 12 hour plane ride!

That's it for tonight. Back tomorrow with commentary on The Hills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home