9.18.2005

Weekend Wrap-up

I'm back from the weekend, when surprisingly, I didn't go anywhere. You may not believe it, but I do not head into the city every weekend. This weekend, I stayed in Stamford, and was lucky enough to get a visit from the Jessica. Overall, it was a relaxing weekend, so I can't complain.

Friday night - Rented "Entourage" Season 1, Volume 1 (first four episodes) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great plot lines, excellent writing, and a very interesting look at Hollywood in another solid HBO television series. As with many other shows that people generally speak highly of, I'm behind the game and don't get into it until it's in the 3rd season. Way to go, Ross. Anyway, I will be renting Season 1, Volume 2, next weekend to catch up as much as possible. Also rented a movie, "A Day Without a Mexican", which someone (can't remember who) had recommended a while back. The story is that all of the Mexicans in California disappear for a day, and how all of the other people in the state deal with life in their absence. The movie had its funny moments and its cheesy moments. Can't say it's the best movie I've ever seen, but kept me entertained for 2 hours. Ross' recommendation: Save your money on this one.

Saturday - Took care of some exciting errands: Got the car's oil changed. Finally bought an area rug for my living room (only 7 weeks after I moved into the apartment - I knew I'd get around to it eventually). Went to Target for some items. See, I told you it was exciting. Unfortunately, didn't get the Penn State game on TV here, so didn't get to watch any of the game. I wasn't overly worried though, because I plan on watching almost all of the games the rest of the season. Plus, if you have to miss PSU beating up on Central Michigan, then that's better than missing a key game against a Big Ten opponent.

Jessica and I took a little road trip up to New Haven on Saturday night. Since it's only about a 45 minute ride, we figured, why not? It's a nice little town. They have the downtown area which borders the Yale campus, similarly to Penn State, but on a much smaller scale. The downtown has some restaurants, bars, shops...all rather typical. After finding a good restaurant to eat dinner (and catching the end of that Notre Dame-Michigan State game...how about that one, huh?), we walked around the campus. Without the help of a map or anything, we did our best to figure out what the buildings were. Saw a bunch of the dorms (think West Halls stlye), some classroom buildings, and some of the intelligent-looking Yale students who were seen walking with textbooks on a Saturday night (I kid you not). After the short time in New Haven, we had seen enough, and headed back.

Sunday - Football day. I was happy to have the Eagles game on the TV up here, given that the Giants are on tomorrow night. Also happy to see them beat the crap out of San Francisco, 42-3. No better way to get back on track after a loss than beating up on the next team on the schedule. Hey Jared, excited for the Eagles-Raiders next Sunday? By the way, picking against the Eagles and their 13 point spread was a bad idea and came back to bite me in the ass. Lesson learned: Even if you don't think your team will cover some ridiculous spread, pick them anyway. Don't even think twice about it.

Side story: So you know how you submit a Change of Address form to the Post Office when you move, and then they'll forward to your new address any mail that is sent to the old address? Well, we always knew the Post Office is stupid. I receive 2 envelopes that had the forwarding sticker with my address. But I see that the envelopes were originally addressed to a lady at my old apartment building, who coincidentally had a last name beginning with "Wei". How can the postal workers not look at the name on the envelope and that the apartment she lives in is different than the one I had lived in at that building? Anyway, being the good samaritan that I am, I decided to just walk over to the old apartment and drop of the 2 envelopes, since they looked like important documents...one was from a bank and the other was from the government. Granted, I could have just dropped them in the mailbox, but let's be honest, if the Post Office didn't get it right the first time around, who's to say they'd get it right the second time around. What a bunch of dipshits.

That's my weekend in a semi-large nutshell. Back on Monday night...

3 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the Raiders being 0-2, the worst thing may be playing the Eagles ... IN PHILADELPHIA ... My dad is going to the game and I just hope he doesn't get beat up by some crazy Philly fans ... But they are not as thuggish as the Raiders fans ... My Prediction: My dad will be tempted to leave after the Raiders lose the coin toss ... I on the other hand will not be able to catch the game as I will be at the Austin City Limits Festival, working 16 hour days, listening to music that I do not know, nor could give a shit about.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see you jumping on the entourage band wagon ross. it's my favorite show on television. season 2 is even better than season 1, but its not out on DVD yet. jeremy piven as ari gold, vince's agent, is hysterical. he's got some classic lines all over the place, especially in season 2.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the record, that "other" is me. i forgot to type my name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home