10.27.2005

It's the Middle of the Week, But It's Time for the Weekend Preview

This is becoming an annual tradition: Late October, set a vacation day aside for Penn State Homecoming. Take that long trek about 250 miles west (most of it on the luxurious I-80) and enjoy a weekend in Happy Valley. Here's the plan, folks: Driving up on Thursday night with the Jessica. Look for me Friday morning around 11am at Cafe 210 West so that the prime seating can be reserved for the Homecoming Parade. I'm sure we'll freeze our asses off all day. For my Lion Ambassador readers out there, I'm gonna stop by the Lion Shrine for sure. Saturday is gameday, although not sure what we'll do before the game. Possibly walk around downtown and then make the trek up to the stadium area. Saturday night, I'll be somewhere around town (I'd like to check out that newer bar on Allen Street....Pickles, I think it's called. Is it any good?) I need to squeeze in a visit with my sister, Jamie, but she's pretty damn busy (let's hear it for sorority life!) Overall, should be a good weekend.

Other news: If you like Modest Mouse, definitely check out Wolf Parade's new album, Apologies to the Queen Mary. Wolf Parade has the Modest Mouse style going, but not so much where you listen to it and feel like they're just ripping them off. The music keeps your interest and they created an overall solid record. For what it's worth, it's gotten some decent reviews around the music community. Recommended songs: "Shine a Light" and "You are a Runner and I am my Father's Son".

Another piece of music news: In case you haven't seen this, Infinity Broadcasting is changing formats of nearly all of their radio stations across the country. The change comes right around the time that Howard Stern leaves Infinity to go over to Sirius Satellite Radio. Not sure I understand the reason for the format change, since many of the stations will become free-form talk stations, and a "music mix" format during the weekends. 92.3 WXRK in New York and 94.1 WYSP in Philadelphia are great stations that I listen to all the time and just like many other favorite radio stations of mine in the past, come January, they will cease to exist. It's a shame the direction that terrestrial radio is taking, as it's becoming increasingly difficult to find decent music on the radio, let alone rock 'n roll music. I may have to consider investing in satellite because even I'm becoming fed up with what's on the good 'ole fashion dial. Let's face it, I may be stuck listening to David Lee Roth every morning. The listeners on the West Coast get Adam Carolla at least.

As I'm typing, the Chicago White Sox win the 2005 World Series! I'm not sure what's more disappointing... (a) that this White Sox team will go down as one of baseball's lackluster champions; (b) that this year's World Series may also go down as being extremely anti-climactic...I mean honestly, in 5 years, many people may not remember that the Chicago White Sox were World Champions in 2005; or (c) that Chicago, which loves their Cubbies, sees a Sox championship first and is still not sure when the Cubs will pull through.

That's all I have for you. Back after the weekend with a wrap up. Enjoy

2 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your sister was quoted in the collegian today in an article about airbands. here's the quote:
""I'm excited. Apparently a lot of people are dressed up," Jamie Weisbrot (freshman-division of undergraduate studies) said.

Weisbrot performed in the competition with fellow members of Alpha Omericron Pi sorority to Queen's Bicycle Race."

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

Yeah I saw that. It took me until my Junior year to be quoted in the Collegian, and that was only because I sent in a Letter to the Editor. My sister's representing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home