11.10.2005

Destination: Lone Star State

As mentioned earlier this week, the Jessica and I are taking a trip to the Lone Star State tomorrow to visit Sarah and Jared in Austin. As soon as Sarah moved back to Texas and Jared moved down there as well in summer 2004, we told them we'd come visit. Sure enough, a little over a year later, we are making good on our word and traveling to the state made famous by Willie Nelson, Ross Perot, Janis Joplin, Nolan Ryan, Lyndon B. Johnson, and a father/son duo who were each elected to be President of this crazy country, to name a few.

On the agenda are the following: checking out the University of Texas campus (let's hope they lose on Saturday vs. Kansas so that Penn State moves up in the BCS), seeing Austin's famous Sixth Street with all of its bars and restaurants and possibly a hike and/or kayaking (this was Jared's idea...still not sure how I feel about it though. Those of you who know me, know that I'm not much of a wilderness person, but I'll be a good sport while on this trip). Also, we're taking an overnight trip to San Antonio, checking out the Riverwalk and the Alamo and whatever else there is in San Antonio. Another thing I can't wait for is the food. Jared and Sarah keep talking up the Barbeque and Tex-Mex, so I'll get my fill of ribs, chicken, and beef. Mmmm, let's hear it for carnivores.

I've always been interested in the differences in culture in various parts of the United States, and to be honest, I've been stuck in the northeast portion of the US for so long that I haven't really gotten a chance to see much of the rest of this country. I think it's a safe bet that the culture and people interaction in Texas will be a little different than what we're used to up here in the blue states. I just hope I don't get the comment "Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?" too many times. I'll try not to stick out like a porkchop at a bar mitzvah (that's an old Eric Steinberg saying). I'll keep an eye out for the cultural nuances and include it in my report when I return. It should also be noted that we'll have some decent weather while down there, as we're looking at some days with highs in the 80's. Maybe a tan is in store for this pasty white guy. Correction, maybe a sunburn is in store for this pasty white guy.

During a few moments of downtime in Austin, we're going to embark on 2 RPR "Firsts": a post from the road, and a collaborative post with co-writer, Jared Melzer. Check back at some point during the weekend and you can enjoy whatever it is that we put together. (At press time, neither one of us have any idea exactly what we're going to write together.)

Otherwise, I'm coming back on Monday night, and by the time I get back, the Eagles-Cowboys Monday Night game will be on and I can begin to rip my eyes out at how awful the Birds play. By that time, I'll be tired from traveling and disgusted that a team who was in the Super Bowl just 9 months ago is now having their current season go down the drain. In other words, I'll be writing the Austin recap on Tuesday night, most likely. Also, if I can get the damn picture function on "Blogger" to work, then maybe I can post some pics here and there. The function has been on the fritz lately and haven't had the patience to figure out how to fix it.

Anyway, I'm out for now. Enjoy your weekend. I'll see y'all later. (Practicing my Texas lingo)

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ross, check out google's program called picase. i've heard that it integrates really well with blogger.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

Owen, thanks for the heads up. I wrote myself a note to check it out when I come back from Texas. I can always count on you for computer-related knowledge. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home