4.18.2006

Links, Postal Mix Up, NHL Playoffs and Some Rambling!

Two quality links from Co-worker Adam (sent to me outside of work hours of course... we actually do have work to take care of)

- What can you buy for $148.33? You can purchase a 1GB iPod Nano, a few shirts / pairs of pants, have a very nice dinner for two, or a sandwich. Not just a sandwich, the world's most expensive sandwich. Doesn't look all that appetizing to me. You can keep it.

- You like grilled cheese. I like grilled cheese. It's really easy to make: two pieces of bread, some cheese, and some heat. Instant meal. I usually eat two of them if I'm making it for lunch.This lady thought it'd be a good idea to eat 26 grilled cheese sandwiches. Competitive eating truly amazes me.

- In other news, I received my tax refund from the government, and a few words were written on the envelope: "Delivered to Greenwich, CT, in error." The good news is that the envelope wasn't opened, but I just can't understand how it would be delivered to the next town over when the address was correct, and would be the most important piece of mail I receive in months. Why can't some of my junk mail be delivered in error to another location? Way to go, United States Postal Service!

- You could call me a fairweather hockey fan. But I know when to watch the NHL, and the time to watch is when the playoffs roll around. The playoffs begin in just a few days and I'll miss the lack of ESPN coverage, where they'd have 2 games on almost every night, and another 2 games on ESPN2 each night. Come to think of it, I don't know that there'll be much in the way of national coverage for the playoffs, other than NBC picking up some games on the weekends. Really shows how a cable television station can stick it to a professional sports league after they crapped out on an entire season due to a strike. Regardless, how about the Flyers somehow avoiding having to play New Jersey in Round 1? Good... let the Devils and the Rangers beat up on each other. Flyers will (hopefully) have better luck with Buffalo.

- I think I'm mildly obsessed with blogs. And no, this is not a narcissistic comment about the RPR. I'm talking about blogs in general. It's bad enough that there is so much junk on the "WWW", but the Internet has come a long way from "Everyone has a website" to the current "Everyone has a blog". And I read them. A lot of them. I keep 20 or so in my Favorites on the Internet Explorer and I check them -- everyday. Believe me, sounds like a lot, but when I keep up with them everyday, it's not that much to read. But when I miss a day or two, whoa... watch out. Then I better block off an hour to catch up. Besides that, I'm constantly reading others on an infrequent basis. Between this blog and all the blogs I read, I'm convinced that it will lead to my eventual insomnia. The reason I mention this is because I tend to 'wander' when I'm trying to get my RPR post in, and I start reading one blog, and then check out a link to another blog, and keep going from there. Next thing I know, I have 15 windows open on my screen and my computer starts to make a sound like it's revving up a lawnmower engine or is about to attack me with sharpened claws. At that point, I know to bring myself back to the RPR and come up with some 'original' material for the readers. But if it weren't for all of these other blogs, I'd miss out on some inspiration. After all, these are the people with massive readership and all I have are some friends from home, college, and work. Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Maybe someday, I too, will have 138 comments on a post. Then random people will put me in their Favorites and I can become a professional blogger, work in my pajamas, grow a beard, make fun of the Page Six Payola Scandal, hang out in the West Village at 2pm on a Tuesday, and attend 10 concerts per week. That'd be cool, right? I wouldn't be making very much money in that situation, but with the good comes the bad. I'm rambling. word.

3 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ross - you gotta go for the direct deposit with your tax refund... Goes straight into your bank account, and you don't even have to worry about the post office or cashing it at the bank! (On a side note, direct deposit and withdrawl are the best things ever... I don't have to cash my work paycheck because it is automatically deposited, and I don't have to pay my rent because it is automatically debited... Basically I never see my own money!)

Another thought... I'd love to hear your comments on the irony of the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes baby being born on the same day, just rooms away from Brooke Shields was having her baby. Who knew there were so few hospitals in Hollywood?!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger The Ross said...

Julie, excellent advice. I somehow missed out on the application for direct deposit with the tax refund. This is ironic because my dad is an accountant and did the tax return for me. I do have the direct deposit at work, which is nice because I never get to the bank as it is, but as I've mentioned in the past, I am in the dark ages when it comes to direct withdrawal for paying bills; in other words, I'm still writing checks & sending them snail mail.

On the 2nd point, I will have a forthcoming blog item featuring the new TomKat baby, since several RPR readers have requested my commentary. Look forward to that one probably on Thurs night's post.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for a good celeb blog, check out www.pinkisthenewblog.com


its great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home