8.07.2006

Andy's Nuggets: Clearfield County Fair Wrap Up

Andy checks in this week after the highly talked about Clearfield County Fair. He promised some craziness, and from the sounds of it, the Fair didn't disappoint:

My most exciting week of the year is the Clearfield County Fair. I take a week off from work to eat, walk around all day, and watch some concerts for free. Let me tell you about my week.
First of all, it started with contoversy. Our Fair has always allowed concession stands to sell anything they want to, whether they be balloons, food, whatever you can think of. There was one stand that had tie dye shirts, confederate flags, and to many people's surprise, stuff with swastikas on it. Let me just say that in 24 years of going to the Fair, I have never even seen these swastikas before, nor have I seen anyone buy anything with them on, and I am in attendance for over 100 hours during the week.

A local attorney took it upon himself to chain himself to the courthouse steps with some of the swastika items, until the fair board ordered the vendor to quit selling them. To make a long story short, this guy has a vendetta against the District Attorney in Clearfield, and that was his motivation to doing this. But he managed to create a huge problem to start the Fair. This did not make Andrew a happy camper [Editor's note: It didn't make Andy happy because it delayed the start of the Fair. Neither Andy nor the RPR supports any anti-semitism. We'll leave that to Mel Gibson.]

The rest of the week would be pretty quiet. Just your typical crap...watch some harness races, play crappy mini-golf, and play the game where you throw dimes into glasses and you keep the glasses. NOTE: To all persons who were ever in my apartment, you'll see that 90% of all the glassware in the kitchen was courtesy of the dime toss.

Now on to the most important part of the fair...the entertainment. Tuesday night was Peter Frampton. This wasn't a very hyped show, but he was an amazing guitarist. I was very impressed. I was a little disappointed though, because unlike the Frampton Comes Alive cover, he had no hair, and it was grey not blonde! Friday night was Poison. This was the best concert that I have seen at the fair ever. I was 3 rows from the stage and felt like Bret and CC were playing just for me. I also got to meet the drummer Rikki Rockett, and the bassist Bobby Dall. They were pretty nice. Bret Michaels was only meeting chicks with big boobs, and CC wasn't meeting anyone, for fear that the smell of alcohol would send him into a relapse. Saturday was Kenny Rogers and the Oak Ridge Boys. This concert would have been awesome...30 years ago. All these guys were really old and it was not very good. I did get to hear "Elvira" and "The Gambler", so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Overall, it was a pretty good Fair. I gained 3 pounds, won 9 glasses, spent $180, and didn't hook up with the Fair Queen (but there is still time for the first runner up!!!)

Join us next week for the PSU Football preview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home