8.09.2006

Observations of the Apple

I've been slacking the past few days but I have some new observations that I'd like to pass on. Also, I've been thinking this is a good idea for recurring posts, but if you think otherwise, please let management know.

- One of my mottos about New York is that "Something is always dripping on you". I'm serious, no matter where I am in the city, there's something always dripping on me. I walk down the street, I feel something wet on my arm. I'm in the park, I get a drop of something on me. And believe me, it isn't rain. In fact, there aren't any clouds in the sky. I have realized that in many cases, it's condensation from air conditioning units. Otherwise, I think that if I don't know what this mystery liquid is, I'm probably better off. Let's just hope it isn't toxic.

- You know how Clark Kent has a certain facade about him whereby he wears a suit during the day, and then instantaneously transforms into Superman? I think New Yorkers secretly want to be just like him. When they travel, they'll wear the comfortable clothing -- I saw a guy in the subway wearing shorts and a t-shirt, with a suit on a hanger, as he was apparently headed to work. It's like a certain metamorphosis occurs when they get to work, and all of a sudden this guy is Joe Officeworker.

- Someone should study the economics of the competition between the fruit stands. If the guy standing right outside of the subway can sell bananas at 4 for $1, does he end up doing worse than the guy all the way at the other end of the block who sells them for 5 for $1 ? Other rather, if one doesn't speak English, how does he fare? These are the questions that need to be answered.

- I love AM New York. It's the free paper that I read on the train. The articles seem to be written by an elementary school student, but then they slap "Associated Press" on the byline to make it seem legit. They've written articles like "Report says that Street Fairs are Annoying" and "Rising Rents Make it Hard to Find a Cheap Apartment". I'm waiting for a story telling me that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, and then disappear tomorrow night only to return the next day. Journalism at its finest.

That's it for now. I'll be back with more, don't worry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home