8.03.2005

Tuesday on the Island, Not much going on...

I was watching an old Seinfeld episode the other night, and you know the parts at the beginning, middle, and end where Jerry does his stand-up comedy...there was one routine that I thought was very fitting for those of us who work in an office. It's something to the effect of this:

"Why is it that when you work in an office, that you are constantly saying hello to the same people each time you see them throughout the day? You come in the office in the morning. At the 8:30am meeting, you say, 'Good morning, Bill, how you doing?' and 'Hello Jane, how are you today?' Then, by 10am, you pass by the same people in the way hallway and give them the 'How ya doin?' as you walk by. You just said hi to them an hour ago! Nothing's changed since then. They aren't doing any better or worse since the last time you asked them."

Granted you have to hear the bit for yourself, but I find it to be very true. You have to say hi or at least give a smile and the headnod each time you pass by the people at work, no matter how many times during the day it is. Similar situation...you see someone before you leave at night. You give them the standard, "Hey, John, have a good night', and you realize they are leaving too. After the obligatory pre-departure trip to the restroom, you see the same person and walk with them out to the parking lot, not sure if to continue the conversation, or not even bother because you've already said "Have a good night" 15 minutes and 100 yards ago. Then, when you go your separate ways, you have to come up with a new line such as "Well, I'll see you in the morning" or "Back to the same old bullshit tomorrow" because you've already used the "Have a good night" and sound like a broken record. I need to write a book about social norms and etiquette. It's fascinating to me.

Speaking of social norms, I broke one this evening - I went to the movies by myself. That's right. Reason being: I really wanted to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but my usual movie date, the Jessica, had already seen it about 8 days ago on a bootleg copy from one of the Chinatown crazies. She thought it was weird and told me I was on my own if I wanted to see it. I got home at decent hour and decided that tonight was as good as any to get over to the theater and check out Tim Burton's rendition of this classic. Now, I remember reading the Roald Dahl book back in 3rd grade, and as I've come to find out, many people tell me that they've never actually read the book. Well, 3rd grade was quite some time ago, and I don't remember the nuances of book, but all of you have seen Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory enough times to know the story. I've seen Willy Wonka so many times that it's ridiculous, so seeing the remake was a must.

Back to the point about going to a movie by yourself. Now honestly, I know it's a social thing to go to the movies, but it's not like there's any interaction with the people you go with, whether it's one other person or 10 other people. You sit there next to each other for 2 hours staring at a screen and not saying a word. And nobody would think twice about watching a movie by themselves at home, right? So I went to the movies cause I wanted to see the damn movie. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.

First of all, Johnny Depp was great. A little creepy, and in the words of Jessica, "He looked like Michael Jackson." I remember a few years back when I heard that a remake was being done, I wondered who they would get to play Willy Wonka. I mean, Gene Wilder just couldn't be replaced. But Depp was the perfect match. I found the sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments to be extremely funny, and I may have been the only one laughing at some of the snide remarks he made throughout the factory tour. I think the graphics and scenery were very well-done and seemed very much like a more modern version of the original. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about the new versions of the oompa loompa songs, but again, I thought they were excellent. Very catchy tunes, for that matter. (For those of you who saw it, tell me you didn't come out of there humming the "Willy Wonka" theme song?) Supposedly the story line was more like the book, which I had no problem with, and overall think it worked out. After all, it wouldn't be that exciting to just make an up-to-date version of a movie from 30 years ago and not change anything around. Ultimately, it gets the Ross seal of approval. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a little off the wall at times, but I have always taken a liking to movies of this sort. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Lastly, on Wednesday, August 3rd, I would like to wish Happy Birthdays to 2 of my favorites from the Penn State Lion Ambassadors - my buddy, Lindsday Bayliss (big 22) and my grandbuddy, Bryant Covelli (big 21!). Now isn't that quite a coincidence that they have the same birthday? Someone play 803 on the lottery or something. Happy birthday Bayliss and BBC!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home